When to visit 2022
We are pleased to announce that we are open for a winter period during February 2022
Please do come and join us. With seven open days, our advance booking system is fully flexible. Open between 11am and 4pm, choose which day and time suits you best to visit according to the weather forecast. We will close promptly at 4pm, so best arrive before 3pm.
Full details on Winter Opening Times are provided below.
If you’d like a sneak preview of what our Winter Garden has to offer, we had a wonderful feature on our Winter Garden in the RHS ‘Garden’ magazine January 2021 Issue with beautiful photographs by Marianne Majerus and words by Matthew Biggs.
We then look forward to welcoming our visitors again from Tuesday 5th April 2022.
About our Winter Garden
Winter is a time when the structure is laid bare and the formal garden with its hornbeam, hedges and topiary yew looks a delight. Elsewhere we have stands of colourful cornus, glorious ornamental grass gardens, as well as fun topiary including a jury scene, a winding dragon, peacocks, layered hollies and a figure of John Bunyan!
Through the cottage garden, beneath the lime trees and in several other places, there are carpets of winter flowering aconites; we have a scattering of snowdrops and a border of cyclamen. Major stands of white stemmed birch provide great beauty as well as an avenue of eucalyptus. Winter flowering containers are filled with hellebores and there is a super display of kokedamas including snowdrops, aconites, daffodils, grape hyacinths and bellis daisies each wrapped in moss.
Later this April, the English Garden Magazine has a full feature of our kokedamas with photographs by Clive Nichols of the moss balls I created last year.
Winter Opening Times
Our Winter openings will be on the following dates from 11am-4pm. Entrance is £7, children 4-17 £3.50, 3 and under free.
- Tuesday and Wednesday February 1st and 2nd
- Sunday 6th February
- Tuesday and Wednesday February 8th and 9th
- Tuesday and Wednesday February 15th and 16th
- Tea/coffee/hot chocolate and Kathy’s home-made cakes will be available throughout the day to purchase here in the garden @ £6. We might offer a limited number of hot sausage baps!
- There will be no timed morning or afternoon sessions so please wander anytime between 11-4pm. Best to arrive by 3pm, as we will close promptly at 4pm).
- Please use our advanced booking system to buy a ticket and then decide later which date and time suits you best according to the weather forecast.
- NB If it snows, we will close the garden as access immediately becomes difficult. Check our website if in doubt www.kathybrownsgarden.com
- Any tickets purchased in advance but not used in this winter period, will be valid for our summer season.
- We love dogs, but it is our policy not to have doggie visitors as we have two free range Jack Russells here already. If you have a guide dog, then please let us know in advance and we will make sure ours are contained!
Please do not visit to see a mass of snowdrops. Over the years I have planted many but lots have been eaten by voles. We do much better with winter flowering aconites.
Please check back regularly for the latest information on our opening dates and times or follow us on Instagram.
Find out what’s been happening recently at Kathy Brown’s Garden